A shiny little penny to hang upon your tree
Encased inside a wreath with love to you from me.
After Christmas hang your penny where you’ll see it every
A little reminder of the Christmas love I sent to you today.
Size 10 crochet thread small amount
12 inches of yarn for bow
US Size 8 (1.50 mm) steel
Needle with eye large enough to accept the crochet thread
Foam brush to apply
6 inches of gold cord or
narrow ribbon for hanger (optional)
1. Read instructions through before beginning.
2. I used a Clover hook, they have a different numbering system. Their size 2 is 1.50 mm, which is equal to a US 8 steel hook.
3. I used Knit-Cro-Sheen for the wreath and Red Heart Shimmer for the yarn ribbon. Take the yarn off the outside of the ball, so it will be nice and straight, no kinks like pulling from the inside of a new ball.
4. Don’t be disappointed if you can’t see the date on your penny, I was bummed. However to hold the penny in place, the date is partially covered. You can peek at it though.
5. I used white Elmer’s Glue diluted half strength and only put it on the last round of the wreath. I didn’t pin the wreath, just pulled it into shape. Then pounced the glue on with one of the cheap foam brushes from Michaels.
2 inches (okay slightly less than 2 inches) in diameter
Round 1: Working over beginning tail, 6 sc in 2nd ch
from hook. Do not join, use a marker to keep
track of continuous rounds. (6 sts)
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around. Move up your marker. (12 sts)
Round 3: *Sc in 1 st, 2 sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Move up your marker. (18 sts)
Round 4: *Sc in 2 sts, 2 sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Slip stitch in next st. Move up your marker. (24 sts)
Round 5: Sc in the back loop of each sc around. Slip stitch in next st.
Fasten off leaving at least a
6 to 8 inch tail.
Weave the tail in and out of
back loop of round 5. Place penny tails
down on wrong side of base. Put the join
at the bottom of the penny then the bow will cover any unevenness. Pull tightly over penny.
Weave in end.
Round 1: Attach the thread with a sc in the unused loop
of the round 4 stitch under Honest Abe’s coat.
*Ch 3, skip 1 st, sc in next st.
Repeat from * around. End ch 1, hdc
in first sc. (12 loops)
Round 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in loop formed by ch 1 and
hdc. *Slip stitch in sc, 5 dc in next
from * around. End with slip stitch in
sc, 2 dc in first loop. Join with a slip stitch in top of ch 3. (12 dc groups)
Fasten off and weave in ends.
If you are going
to use stiffener place wreath face side down on foil or waxed paper and apply
(if used) is dry, cut a strand of contrasting yarn about 12 inches long. Starting at bottom of wreath weave through
the openings and tie into a bow.
Thread the gold
cord or ribbon through the top of the wreath and tie an overhand knot close to
the ends for hanger.