Monday, February 13, 2012
DOUBLE TAKE SLEEP SACK AND CAP
18 (relaxed) inch circumference by 17 inch length (20 inch circumference by 19 inch length)
Two colors of worsted weight yarn, about 5 ounces of each color (10 ounces total) for larger sleep sack and cap US size 13 (9.0 mm) 16 or 24 inch circular knitting needle US size 11 (8.0 mm) double point needles for cap US I (5.5 mm) crochet hook
3 sts = 1 inch (but not important)
- Sleep sack and cap are worked with two strands held as one. Set in photo was knit using Red Heart Super Saver color Primary and Lion Brand Pound of Love color White.
- Directions for a larger sleep sack are in parentheses.
- I leave crocheting the drawstring until the last, to be sure I have enough yarn for the cap. There was only about 3 yards of the Super Saver left after knitting the larger set.
- (2/15/12) I just finished a set using Red Heart Kid's and Lion Brand Pound of Love. The 4 ounce skein of the RHK was enough to make the smaller sleep sack and the cap.
Cast on 54 (60) sts using a stretchy cast on.
Place marker and begin working in the round.
Rounds 1-5: K1, P1. Repeat around.
Round 7: *K1, P1. Repeat from * around.
Repeat rounds 6 and 7 until sleep sack is about 16 (18) inches from cast on edge.
Small size next round: *(K5, yo, K2tog), 3 times, K4, yo, K2tog. Repeat from * around. (8 yo)
Larger size next round: *K6, yo, K2tog, K5, yo, K2tog. Repeat from * around. (8 yo)
Next 4 rounds: K1, P1. Repeat around.
Bind off knitwise.
Cut yarn and weave in ends.
Using one strand of yarn, leaving a 5 inch tail, with an I hook chain 90 (100). Slipstitch in the back bump of the 2nd chain from hook and each remaining chain. Fasten off leaving a 5 inch tail.
Cut two 10 inch lengths of yarn, fold in half, pull loop through the end of the drawstring with the tails. Pull all the ends through the loop and pull tight forming a tassel.
Cut three 10 inch lengths of yarn, fold in half, pull loops through the opposite end of the drawstring and pull tight.
Weave drawstring in and out of the eyelets. Pull to close and tie bow.
DOUBLE TAKE CAP
Two colors of worsted weight yarn, about 1 ounce of each color (2 ounces total) for cap only
US size 11 (8.0 mm) double pointed needles
With double point needles, cast on 36 sts. Join and work in the round.
Place marker to denote beginning of round.
Rounds 1-3: K1, P1. Repeat around. (36 sts)
Round 5: *K1, P1. Repeat from * around.
Repeat rounds 4 and 5 until cap is about 5 inches from cast on edge.
Next round: *K4, K2tog. Repeat from * around. (30 sts)
Next round: *K3, K2tog. Repeat from * around. (24 sts)
Next round: *K2, K2tog. Repeat from * around. (18 sts)
Next round: *K1, K2tog. Repeat from * around. (12 sts)
Next round: *K2tog. Repeat from * around. (6 sts)
Finish in one of these two ways:
1. Cut yarn leaving 6 inch tails. Use tapestry needle to run yarn tails through the stitches and pull to close.
2. Optional I Cord Knot: Cut one of the strands of yarn leaving a 6 inch tail. Use the tapestry needle to run that end through the live stitches on the needles. DO NOT remove stitches from the needles. Using the remain strand of yarn: k2, k2tog, k 2 for the first row only.
Knit 5 or 6 inch I Cord with the remaining 5 stitches.
Cut yarn leaving a 6 inch tail.
Use tapestry needle to run yarn tail through the stitches and pull to close. Now run yarn down the center of the I Cord.
Pull the yarn you ran through the live stitches tight and weave in end.