Tuesday, October 09, 2007

OCTOBER SCARF DIAGONAL BLOCK STITCH (C)


OCTOBER SCARF DIAGONAL BLOCK STITCH (c)



If you have never crocheted anything with the diagonal block stitch you are in for a pleasant experience. I use it almost exclusively for preemie blankets, so I thought, Why not a scarf.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, so of course I had to use PINK.



SIZE: 8 by 56 inches



MATERIALS:
Bernat Softee Baby 5 ounces
US H (5.0 mm) crochet hook



Row 1: Chain 6, dc in the 4th chain from the hook, dc in remaining st of ch. This completes the first block.



Row 2: Chain 6, dc in the 4th chain from the hook, dc in remaining ch. Twist beginning block up, slip stitch in the loop at top of block. Chain 3, 3 double crochet in the same loop where slip stitch was made.



Row 3: Chain 6, dc in the 4th chain from the hook, dc in remaining ch. Twist beginning block up, slip stitch in the loop at top of block. Chain 3, 3 double crochet in same loop * slip stitch in loop at top of next block, chain 3, 3 double crochet in same space *.



Rows 4-10: Repeat row 3, repeating between * as many times as needed to work in top of each block.



Scarf will be about 8 inches wide at this point. Now you will decrease on one edge, while continuing to increase on the other. Tie a piece on contrasting yarn around the decrease side so that you remember to decrease.



Row 11: (decrease row) Work decrease rows as follows: Chain 3, slip stitch in top loop of block just worked. Chain 3, 3 double crochet in same loop * slip stitch in loop at top of next block, chain 3, 3 double crochet in same space *. Repeat between * as many times as needed to work in top of each block.



Row 12: Repeat row 3, repeating between * as many times as needed to work in top of each block. End with slip stitch in the loop of decrease block on previous row.

Repeat rows 11 and 12, until scarf is desired length.

Repeat row 11 until only one block remains.


EDGE:

Ch 1, sc in same space. *Ch 3, sc in stitch between blocks*, repeat around all 4 sides of the scarf. Note: work sc in each corner.
End off and weave in ends.

Comments:
How great I been looking for a scarf made with Bernat Softee. Christina requested one from me.
I am making her a self striping one in seed st. but the next one will be your pattern, I will post a pic when I get it done. Her color choice was Neon orange or neon Yellow. The only color I liked was in the Baby section. I been checking your blog for a few days now knowing you would come up with something great
Martina
 
The Bernat Softee really does make a nice soft scarf. Easy care as well.
 
beautiful pink October scarf!
thanks for sharing!
 
Oooooo! It's so pretty. As soon as I complete my first attempt at felting [I put it aside because I'm a scaredy cat to shrink the bag], I want to do this scarf. I helped a lady in a Colorado RV park get a block stitch afghan started last year, but this seems a smarter option. Not quite so ambitious. I wonder if she ever finished her afghan? Not sure whether this will identify me as Niki or Raennshadow, but both of my split personailities are not dangerous and know each other. LOL
Nikki in Hoquiam
 
hi....i doing this pattern...i wanted to know if i have the right sell the finished product if any one asks for it..and can i post the picture of the finished product in my blog...just started one a few days back
 
Love the look of this stitch and plan to give it a try.

Thanks for posting pattern.

Pop in for a visit, the welcome mats always out.

Sandy
 
I am loving the pattern that this scarf is making. It is a neat texture. Penny
 
I feel like an idiot! I don't get the twist up the block idea. Can you come to my house and show me???? Can you sort of describe it in English so I can understand what you mean. I'm an experienced crocheter but I can't do it...told you I was an idiot. Help!

Diane
 
http://web.archive.org/web/20030204211759/home.earthlink.net/~bollandbunch/diag.html

This tutorial is great. You will have to paste it, I don't know how to make it a hyper link.
 
Thank you ever so much. That is exactly what I needed. Now I can't wait to try the pattern again and this time I should have no problems.

Diane
 
Hello Suzetta,

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful pattern!

Is there a way to convert this pattern to make a baby afghan?

Thank you again!
 
Just keep going until it is the width you want before you start the decreases.
 
Hello again Suzetta,

I'd posted a message before this, but it didn't go through. Just wanted to THANK YOU for the explanation and also the use of your pattern.

Kind regards.

Crochet Mom
 
Hi Suzie! Thank you for this beautiful pattern! I want to share it with you what i've made from the pattern. Check it out at my website: www.jarumtumpul.blogspot.com. let me know what you think. once again, thank you Dear Suzie! :)
 
Thanks for the pretty patterns. Your blog is great. I am just starting to crochet again and came across your blog and it is a joy to visit your site. Thanks again.
 
Thank you for the diagonal october scarf pattern.. I was donating yarn to a nursing home and a lady asked me if I could help a patient with her baby blanket she was making. I went to see what she was making and it was in the same pattern you had posted. The lady had forgotten how to crochet, and I was new to crocheting and did not really understand what she was doing.
Your pattern saved my day and I completed the blanket for her. Thank you so much for posting the pattern. I have made it my personal favorite. You are awesome.
 
This pattern looks like a C2C stitch
I loce this stitch. I have crocheted several scarfs with this pattern.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?