Saturday, February 16, 2008

MARCH CHEVRON II BAG (c)

After requests for a non-felted version of my February Chevron Bag this bag was born. It also is crocheted, but using good ole Red Heart (or other worsted weight) yarn.


















Size: 8 X 7 inches
I did have instructions to make this bag wider, but the wider version doesn’t hold its shape as well. If you think you must make it larger, chain 52 for your starting chain. There will be one repeat more of the pattern doing that.

Materials:
Worsted weight yarn approximately 3 1/2 ounces of main color and small amount of contrasting color
G (4.5 mm) hook
Straight pins

Notes:
1.
In the photo I did rows 4-6 in the contrasting yarn. You can do as many as or as few contrast rows as you like. I did my second bag using the contrasting yarn on rows 4-5 and 8-9.
2. Hdc dec = yo insert hook in next st, yo and pull loop through, yo and pull through two loops. Yo insert hook in next st, yo and pull loop through, yo and pull through 4 loops on hook.
3. Dc dec = yo insert hook in next st, yo and pull loop through, yo and pull through two loops. Yo insert hook in next st, yo and pull loop through, yo and pull through 2 loops, yo and pull loop through 3 loops.
4. When crocheting the “bag” portion mark rows 23 and 26 with waste yarn on one edge. That way you won’t need to count rows when you go to attach the strap. I never remember and have to count from the beginning each time.
5. At first the “flap” won’t lay flat, but with a little coaxing it flattens out. I set a heavy book on mine over night.

Instructions:

Flap:
Chain 39.

Row 1: Sc in the 2nd st, and in next 4 stitches, * skip 2 stitches and sc in next 5 stitches, 3 sc in next stitch, sc in next 5 stitches * repeat from once. Skip 2 sts, sc in 5 sts.

Row 2-11: Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 3 sts, *skip 2, sc in 5 sts, 3 sc in next st, sc in 5 sts repeat from * once. Skip 2 sts, sc in 3 sts, 2 sc in last st.

These three rows fill in the triangles to make an even edge for attaching to bag.

Row 12: Ch 1, sc in 2 sts, *hdc dec, dc dec, hdc dec, sc in 7 sts. Repeat from * once. Hdc dec, dc dec, hdc dec, ending with sc in 2 sts.

Row 13: Ch 1, sc in 2 sts, *hdc dec, hdc dec, sc in 5 sts. Repeat from * once. Sc in next st, dec, hdc dec, ending with sc in 2 sts.

Row 14: Ch 1, sc across. (21 sc)

Bag:
Rows 1-42:
Ch 2, hdc across. (21 hdc)

Strap:
Row 1:
Ch 6, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in remaining chains. Ch 2, turn.
Row 2: Dc in each st. Ch 2, turn.
Repeat row 2 until strap is 42 inches long. Fasten off.

Finishing:
Pin short edge of strap to rows 23-26 wrong sides together. Then pin strap to side of bag rows 6-22, pin other side to correspond. Pin opposite end of strap to other side of bag.

Attach yarn on the right side of first row, at side of flap. Sc evenly along side of flap, when you get to where strap is pinned to bag, work through both layers. Work down side, across bottom and up the other side. Fasten off.

Repeat on opposite side, starting at row 42, so that you are working on the right side of bag.

Weave in ends.


Comments:
Hi Suzie. I jusst saw your Chevron 2 bag. I really like it. You did a fine job on it.
Is it a fairly simple bag to make? I would love to make one for my granddaughter.
Take care.
Myra<><
 
I think it is fairly simple. No fancy stitches involved.

Suzie
 
it's very beautiful
 
I loved the baskets. They are pretty.
 
I made 'My Little Flapped Bag' for myself,and it is lovely. Now I have been asked to donate it to an auction raising money for cancer research. I need to know whether such a donation would be allowed under the terms of your copyright. I planned to make a little tag identifying the designer, the yarn used, and me as maker of the bag.
Jean
 
I would be honored to have one of my bags donated to a charity auction.
 
suzie,everything you make is fantastic!!!!!!!!!you have so much talent. i have a problem with your web site,my computer is old and it is getting bogged down with all the e-mails. I need to unsubscribe but I,m having a hard time doing it. could you help me out please. thanks
 
Hi Suzie, thank you for posting the pattern, what nice work.....I completed the bag. For the Flap I alternated 2 colors so the zickzack pattern really appears.

I do have a problem how to fasten the strap onto the purse....don't understand the directions....short strap etc.....I need help!

Thank you so much!
Susi
 
Just sew the straps to the sides, in what ever fashion you want.
 
I just finished the Chevron bag as a Kindle case for my daughter. I omitted the strap and will add snaps to keep it closed. Thanks for sharing this pattern.
 
Beautiful Pattern and Thanks for sharing it with the world! Gonna make it for my 2 grand daughters. They'll get a kick out of it, especially the 9 y/o. Thanks again.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?