Sunday, September 20, 2009

SHELL SLEEP SACK AND CAP (C)


MATERIALS:
Worsted weight yarn approximately 6 ounces including cap
I (5.5 mm) crochet hook
Yarn needle for weaving ends

GAUGE: 8 dc = 2 inches
SIZE: 0-3 mo (5-10 pounds)

NOTES:
1. Read through all instructions before beginning.
2. When joining with a slip stitch, pull the stitch tight until it almost disappears.
3. I used Lion Brand Pound of Love.
4. Actual measurements 22 inch circumference and 18 inch length.
5. For scale my baby is about 20 inches with a 14 inch head.

SLEEP SACK INSTRUCTIONS:
Round 1: Ch 3, (do not count as first dc) 12 dc in the 3rd ch from hook. Join with a slipstitch in first dc. (12 sts)

Round 2: Ch 2 (do not count as first dc from now on), 2 dc in each st. Join with a slipstitch in first dc. (24 sts)

Round 3: Ch 2, *dc in 1 st, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first dc. (36 sts)

Round 4: Ch 2, *dc in 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first dc. (48 sts)

Round 5: Ch 2, *dc in 3 sts, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first dc. (60 sc)

Round 6: Ch 2, *dc in 4 sts, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first dc. (72 dc)

Round 7: Ch 1, sc in join. *Skip 2 st, 5 dc in next st, skip 2 st, sc in next st, repeat from * around, ending skip 2, 5 dc in next st. Join with a slipstitch in first sc. (12 shells)

Round 8: Ch 3, 4 dc in same st as join. *Skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, 5 dc in next sc, repeat from * around, ending skip 2 dc, sc in next dc. Join with a slipstitch in top of ch 3. (12 shells)

Round 9: Slipstitch in 2 dc (don’t pull these slipstitches tight), ch 1, sc in same dc, *5 dc in next sc, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, repeat from * around, ending with 5 dc in next sc. Join with a slipstitch in first sc. (12 shells)

Rounds 10-31: Repeat rounds 8 and 9.

Round 32: Ch 3, 5 dc in same st as join. *Skip 2 dc, slipstitch in next dc, 6 dc in next sc, repeat from * around, ending skip 2 dc, slipstitch in next dc. Join with a slipstitch in top of ch 3. (12 shells)


SHELL CAP INSTRUCTIONS:

SIZE: 15 inches

Round 1: Ch 4, join to form ring. Ch 2, (here and throughout ch 2 doesn’t count as first dc), 12 dc in ring. Join with a slipstitch in top of first dc. (12 dc)

Round 2: Ch 2, 2 dc in same st as join, 2 dc in each st around. Join with a slipstitch in top of first dc. (24 dc)

Round 3: Ch 2, dc in same st as join, *2 dc in next st, dc in next st. Repeat from * around. End by working 2 dc in last st. Join with a slipstitch in top of first dc. (36 dc)

Round 4: Ch 2, 2 dc in same st as join, *dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st. Repeat from * around. End by working a dc in last 2 sts. Join with a slipstitch in top of first dc. (48 dc)

Round 5: Ch 1. sc in same st as join, *skip 1 st, 3 dc in next st, skip 1 st, sc in next st. Repeat from * around. End with skip 1 st, 3 dc in next st. Join with a slipstitch in first sc. (12 shells)

Round 6: Ch 3, 2 dc in same stitch as join, *skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, skip 1 dc, 3 dc in sc. Repeat from * around. End with skip 1 dc, sc in next dc. Join with a slipstitch in top of ch 3. (12 shells)

Round 7: Slipstitch in next dc, ch 1. sc in same st, *skip 1 st, 3 dc in next sc, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc. End with skip 1 st, 3 dc in next sc. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first sc. (12 shells)

Round 8: Ch 3, 2 dc in same stitch as join, *skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, skip 1 dc, 3 dc in sc. Repeat from * around. End with skip 1 dc, sc in next dc. Join with a slipstitch in top of ch 3. (12 shells)

Round 9: Slipstitch in next dc, ch 1. sc in same st, *skip 1 st, 3 dc in next sc, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc. End with skip 1 st, 3 dc in next sc. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first sc. (12 shells)

Round 10: Ch 3, 2 dc in same stitch as join, *skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, skip 1 dc, 3 dc in sc. End with skip 1 dc, sc in next dc. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in top of ch 3. (12 shells)

Round 11: Slipstitch in next dc, 5 dc in next sc., *Skip 1 dc, slipstitch in next dc, skip 1 dc, 5 dc in next sc. Repeat from * around. Join with slipstitch in first slipstitch. (12 shells)

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Comments:
I have looked everywhere for a pattern for something like this. I will be making one for a friend who is expecting and one for my daughter who is also expecting. Thank you for a great pattern.
 
OH! I am so excited to find out you designed this pattern!!! I can't wait to make them for my charity! Such a pretty stitch! Thank You so much!!!
 
This is great. I think I'll make two as sleeping bags for my daughter's 18 inch dolls... she's always looking for new accessories for them and I've found that many baby patterns are the perfect size for them. Thanks!
 
This looks like a wonderful pattern to make. I'm sure I will enjoy making it. Now...off to find some yarn in my stash!
 
Great pattern! My supervisor is expecting and this will make a GREAT gift. Thank you for sharing.
 
Thank you so much for posting this! I looked everywhere for a pattern for one of these but could only find them for sale. I finally bought one and it didn't crochet up anything like it should have. So I had to work it out myself. I wish I had seen this sooner, lol. I love your patterns, so I will use this one for my other friends that are expecting :)
 
Thank you for posting your pattern. I have been wanting to crochet one rather than knit one. I haven't found a pattern and was thinking I could work something up. You saved me so much work. Thank you again, this is soooo cute! Mary
 
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, thanks for the pattern..
 
Thank you for sharing the pattern. Frustrating to see it on search, and many times it is another search. I do appreciate it.
 
I'm posting a link to this (and your picture, credited) over at crochet every day. I love it! The post will be up tomorrow! Thanks Suz!
 
HELLO, JUST LOVE THIS SHELL SLEEP SACK AND CAP. THANKS SO MUCH, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.
LEE MEYER
 
HELLO AGAIN, JUST A NOTE TO TELL YOU THAT I NOW FINISHED THE SHELL HAT AND I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

BLESSINGS LEE
 
HELLO SUZIE, I WISH YOU LIVED CLOSE BY SO WE CAN CROCHET TOGETHER, YOUR PATTERNS ARE SO EASY AND BEAUTIFUL.

THANKS A BUNCH
LEE
 
How long is this?
 
Measurements are in the "notes".
 
aww I wish I had seen this pattern before I started the other one...well, I guess I could make 2! I love the shell stitch so dainty and very attractive.

Thanks so much for sharing
Marion
 
Just finished the shell baby sack. while I consider myself a knitter, I do crochet on occasion. I found the pattern easy and well written. I made the set in a day and a half as time was an issue. I think the mother to be will be very pleased. Thanks for the pattern.
 
Debra1358
I love all your patterns I use alot of them for gifts to people.
Thank you very much.
 
Someone asked what hook I would use to make the sleep sack with size 3 yarn. I would use the Big Shell Sleep Sack pattern and a G hook.
 
we have 6 ladies pregnant in our family. two babies have been born so far. i made this for one of them and it is very nice. one is our daughter who is pregnant and the others are our grandaughters. thanks for sharing the pattern.
 
Having trouble getting the circumference to 22 inches.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Yarn, hook and technique of the individual crocheter can make a difference in the results.

If you want it larger than you are getting, use the "Big Shell" sleep sack instructions.
 
i love the pattern and just finished this set for my future niece. The only thing was that i used the yarn and hook recommended, but the cocoon came out 28 inches circumference and 22 in length. the hat is also too large for an infant (fits my 9 month old). I love ho it came out, but i think it's absurdly huge :/
 
Different people work at different yarn tension and that is probably what accounts for the difference in sizes.
 
Where is the big she'll pattern
 
http://suzies-yarnie-stuff.blogspot.com/2010/08/bssscm.html
Is this what you are looking for? All the patterns are listed on the right hand side of the blog.
 
End 8, I’m getting 18 shells. Is this correct? Pattern says 12 but I can not come up with 12.
Thanks tnccarstens@yahoo.com
 
Yes 12 shells is correct. If you had 72 on round 6, it should come out to 12. Each repeat of instructions uses 6 sts, 72/6=12.


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?