Sunday, February 13, 2011

BASKET WEAVE SLEEP SACK AND CAP


Many thanks to Cherie and Virginia for testing this pattern.


BASKET WEAVE SLEEP SACK AND CAP


MATERIALS:
Bulky weight yarn approximately 8 - 11 ounces including cap
K (6.5 mm) crochet hook
Yarn needle for weaving ends

GAUGE: 6 hdc = 2 inches

SIZES: Small, Medium and Large

NOTES:
1. Read through all instructions before beginning.
2. I used Sensations Rainbow Classic.
3. Actual measurements: Small = 22 inch circumference and 18 inch length. Medium = 24 inch circumference and 19 inch length. Large = 26 inch circumference and 20 inch length.
4. The photo shows small and large sleep sacks.


INSTRUCTIONS:
Round 1:
Ch 3, (do not count as first hdc) 9 hdc in the 3rd ch from hook. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (9 sts)

Round 2: Ch 2, 2 hdc in each st. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (18 sts)

Round 3: Ch 2, *hdc in 1 st, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (27 sts)

Round 4: Ch 2, *hdc in 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (36 sts)

Round 5: Ch 2, *hdc in 3 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (45 sts)

Round 6: Ch 2, *hdc in 4 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (54 sts)

Round 7 (small only): Ch 2, *hdc in 8 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (60 sts)

For small continue with rounds 9-12.

Round 7 (medium only): Ch 2, *hdc in 8 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (60 sts)

Round 8 (medium only): Ch 2, *hdc in 9 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (66 sts)

For medium continue with rounds 9-12.


Round 7 (large only): Ch 2, *hdc in 5 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (63 sts)

Round 8 (large only): Ch 2, *hdc in 6 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch around the first hdc as if to front post. (72 sts)

Rounds 9-10 (all sizes): Ch 2 (counts as the first fphdc), fphdc around next 2 sts, bphdc around next 3 sts. *Fphdc around next 3 sts, bphdc around next 3 sts. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch around the ch 2. (60, 66, 72 sts)

Rounds 11-12(all sizes): Ch 2 (counts as the first bphdc), bphdc around next 2 sts, fphdc around next 3 sts. *Bphdc around next 3 sts, fphdc around next 3 sts. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch around the ch 2. (60, 66, 72 sts)

Repeat rounds 9-12 until sleep sack depth measures Sm 18, Med 19, Lg 20 inches.

Cuff:
Round 1-2:
Ch 1, sc in each st. (60, 66, 72 sts)

Fasten off, weave in ends.


BASKET WEAVE CAP INSTRUCTIONS:

SIZE: 15-16 inches

Round 1: Ch 3, (do not count as first dc) 9 hdc in the 3rd ch from hook. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (9 sts)

Round 2: Ch 2, 2 hdc in each st. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (18 sts)

Round 3: Ch 2, *hdc in 1 st, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (27 sts)

Round 4: Ch 2, *hdc in 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch in first hdc. (36 sts)

Round 5: Ch 2, *hdc in 5 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch around the first hdc as if to front post. (42 sts)

Rounds 6-7: Ch 2 (counts as the first fphdc), fphdc around next 2 sts, bphdc around next 3 sts. *Fphdc around next 3 sts, bphdc around next 3 sts. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch around the ch 2. (42 sts)

Rounds 8-9: Ch 2 (counts as the first bphdc), bphdc around next 2 sts, fphdc around next 3 sts. *Bphdc around next 3 sts, fphdc around next 3 sts. Repeat from * around. Join with a slipstitch around the ch 2. (42 sts)

Repeat rounds 6-9 once.

Cuff:
Rounds 1-2:
Ch 1, sc in each st. Join with slipstitch in first sc. (42 sts)

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Comments:
This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us. Happy Heart Day!
 
That is adorable....and I know a new baby who that will be perfect for...thanks!!!
 
It's a lovely pattern - would you have a sweater & hat pattern to go with it ? Thanks !!
 
No sweater, but the cap pattern is below the sleep sack pattern.
 
Sorry, did notice that the cap pattern was already included after I had posted.
I love your patterns since they not only are pretty and unique, but have minimum ends to weave in.
 
I wish I could design every project with just two ends.
 
is sensations rainbow classic a 4 or a 5 in weight? I want to make to substitute yarn. you say 'bulky weight' yarn--i tried this with 2 sport weight yarns held together and it seems too bulky. what about a 4--worsted weight?
 
Do I have your permission to sell some of these at a craft show?
 
Contact me privately at suzettaw98226@yahoo.com
 
Thank you Suzetta. I love everything. I will enjoy working on this cocoon and cap. Basketweave is such a sturdy stitch. This cocoon can be used again and again, for several babies, giggles!
 
I absolutely love this. Where can I find your other patterns? I am a stay at home daughter of an 80 years old fragile mother. I learned to crochet , knit , and sew as a child. I could make my dolls clothes on my own when I was 6. Then I gave it up to pusue a career and I am back at it and I am addicted..LOL
 
All my patterns are on the same blog as the Basket Weave Sleep Sack. They are listed on the the right hand side bar.
 
Very cute! I love that you include different sizes and measurements but I dont know what size will work for my niece. Since I'm making it before shes born. Do you happen to know how big a medium baby would be? Like 8lbs? Or maybe not idk I forget. It's been a while since I had a baby. Lol
 
My baby was 52 yesterday, so I don't speak from recent experience.

Bev's Country Cottage has a good measurement chart.
 
Used LionBrand Cotton-Ease, a smaller #4 yarn, and directions for Large to make the small size sack and it worked! Worked in bands of color to suit the new mother's preferences, and found the color transition worked best if I did a row of hdc even all around of the new color before doing basket weave pattern in the new color
 
Note to above experiment using Cotton-Ease, a #4 yarn. I started off using a 5mm hook, but switched at Row 7 to a 5.5mm throughout, I think I would use 5.5mm hook exclusively the next time with the same yarn. Hope this helps someone!
 
i dont really understand this pattern. I thought it was a basket weave, but it seems like its just half double crochet throughtout. Is that correct? thank you
 
Yes it is HDC, alternating where they are placed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?